Wednesday 2 January 2013

Feather Lite

While I've slowly been building Sore Thumb, I've also been collecting parts for my next project Feather Lite.  Once again, this project will be a combination of different bikes all mashed together to give it that perfect look.

I've been lusting for another inexpensive front end.  Ultimately though, I'm looking for a small super light bike.  ie CBR125r, CBR250r, Cagiva Moto, Honda MC18/21 (NSR250) or any other bike that's relatively light and easy enough to get parts for. If you know of any available, let me know!!

The heart of this project is a Honda CR80 motor in which I got a deal I couldn't pass up.  It was an ex shifter kart motor that won the Las Vegas SuperNationals a few years back.  Since then, it got a crank rebuild with bearings, new rod, along with a new piston, renikasiled cylinder, tumbled gearbox and completely ported engine. Along with it being pretty much a brand new motor that had never been fired since its rebuild, I also got an RCE pipe, M4 silencer, 3 stock CDI boxes, a Speed Programmable Ignition, V Force reed cage, coil, engine mount, pump around carb and fuel pump and an airbox.

The motor was prepped by Woltjer, with a claimed 38hp!!   I'll be taming it down to about 30 ish horsepower so the motor lasts a good length of time.

My eyes pretty much popped out of my head when I saw what I was getting for such a good deal. I had a smile from ear to ear that day.


Since buying the motor, I've been mocking up different ideas on Sore Thumb for a rough idea of what I could do in the future.  Don't mind the mess in my garage, I've been working on getting everything completely organized.
I'm going for the super skinny, sleek and small look.  I guess a cafe you might say.

The tank is what I'm styling the bike around. I found it 2 years ago on kijiji for $10. I had slight buyers remorse after I bought it since it sat on a shelf for quite a long time. Now though, I'm stoked that I held on to the tank.

It will need to take a visit to the Dent Doctor to get a few dents pulled, remove some slight surface rust inside, a new gas cap and it came with a petcock.  As you can see from the rear of Sore Thumb, it's super skinny.  I may even bite the bullet and mount the motor on the second GT380 chassis that I have. Unless of course I come across another chassis that gives me a tickle in my special spot!

Until next time, keep the rubber side down!

1 comment:

  1. I would buy your cr80 parts if you want to sell them. It seems that you need a bigger motor for your project and I need a CR80 motor. RMST@airmail . net

    ReplyDelete